Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Hiaasen's Evolution Sarcasm

Miami Herald columnist and novelist Carl Hiaasen, author of "Striptease" and "Skinny Dip" is probably my favorite writer. My admiration is not just for his salicious titles, but also for his righteous environmentalism and fire-breathing cultural critiques. Hiaasen accomplishes it all with an over-the-top comic style, perhaps the only way to fully capture the stranger-than-fiction reality of dysfunctional South Florida. Nevermind that his books are all basically the same story; A quirky, rugged hero from the outskirts of polite society conspires with a spicy, independent dame to thwart an evil plan by a consortium of unscrupulous developers and violent rednecks; they're still great.


I was excited today to see that my hero had weighed in an issue dear to my heart; the teaching of evolution in public schools:

3 comments:

Paul Richardson said...

This is great! I'm glad that Hiaasen has weighed in on this super important issue. He's also got a book and a movie coming soon, and there's a funny clip of him being interviewed by Stephen Colbert. You can get the links on my latest post.

Catapulting Aaron said...

James,

Being from a small town in Florida, I can attest to hardcore Christians in my biology classes being outspoken against the "theory" while it was being taught.

I've found that one of the real beauties of the internet has been the social networking websites like myspace, where you get to see said former colleagues serving fries in the same small town years later. Sad, but very real!

James Douglass said...

Paul- Nice post on your blog! I haven't forgotten that you were the one who first turned me on to Hiaasen with those books on tape we listened to while sorting eelgrass samples. Thanks, btw.

Aaron- Yeah, if those hardcore fundies had stopped whining about evolution long enough to actually learn something about it, they might not have missed the bus out of fast-food-ville.